This Thursday, September 21st, from 5-7PM, the Tasting Room in the Post Alley is holding a Locus Wines happy hour with winemaker Rich Burton in tow. The wine flights, the Locus Wines bottles will all be discounted to happy hour pricing during the evening. Chances are, Rich will stay way longer than the happy hour, so it is a chance to spend some cycles with the winemaker with very little interruption before he gets all busy with the crush, if you so desire. No need to RSVP or call ahead. Just show up at your convenience.
You missed the Summer Release last weekend? Don’t worry. There is always something going on somewhere around Seattle metro. In a pinch, you can rush to the Tasting Room in Post Alley downtown Seattle that has all Locus Wines by the glass, daily year round. Most of the events materialize with fairly short notice so check back here often to see what’s what. Here is a snapshot though:
- Compass Wines Locus Tasting, Anacortes, WA, July 26th, 2017, 4-6PM
Winemaker Rich Burton visits Compass Wines in Anacortes, a long time supporter of the wines near the islands, to pour the crop of newer Locus Wines.
- Winemaker’s Night at the Tasting Room, Seattle, WA. July 27th, 2017, 7-9PM
Rich Burton will be present to pour the wines and chat with tasters at the Tasting Room in post alley. Tasters pay for flights or for glasses of the wines.
- Locus Fall Party, Seattle, WA, November 11th, 2017, 2-6PM
Annual Fall party in Madrona neighborhood. Free of charge tasting and food pairings.
- Socius Locus Wine Club Event, Seattle, WA, February 24th, 2017, TBD
Wine club members sit down, relax, hang out, drink and be merry at the Madrona location of the winery, without the crowds of tasting parties and with food and wine service at their tables. This event is by invitation only. Wine club membership required.
- Locus Spring Party, Seattle, WA, April 21st, 2017, 2-6PM
Annual Spring party in Madrona neighborhood. Free of charge tasting and food pairings.
- Socius Locus Wine Club Event: Red Wine Blending Party, Seattle, WA, June 11th, 2017, 7-10PM
Wine club members try barrel samples to come up with compelling red wine blends for the 2017 fruit. Winners get prizes. As always, delicious bites available for the participants. This event is by invitation only. Wine club membership required.
- Locus Summer Party, Seattle, WA, July 28th, 2018, 3-7PM
Annual summer party in Madrona neighborhood. Free of charge tasting and food pairings.
Bottles in Spokane, WA is introducing Locus Wines to local wine and beer drinkers on Friday, July 7th, from 5PM onwards at their 3319 N. Argonne Rd. Spokane, WA 99212 location with culinary goodness from Mac Daddy’s Gourmet Grub. Here is how they talked about it:
“This is going to be a fun wine tasting as Amber from Cru Selections introduces us to a newer winery from Seattle called Locus Wines. Locus has been in the Seattle market, but just recently has come over to Spokane. Come try these awesome wines and we also have a special treat for you as well from Finn River – it is an awesome raspberry dessert wine – you gotta try it!
- Modo White – This easy drinking Bordeaux style white is the very definition of the “summer sipper”. A Semillon and Sauvignon Blanc blend with aromas of pineapple, grass and flint followed by flavors of lychee and lemon with nice minerality
- Rose – Aromas of nectarine, fennel and herbes de provence. Flavors of peach, mandarin orange and lavender. This light, crisp wine is a blend of Cinsault, Grenache and Mourdvedre. Bone dry finish
- Modo Red – This easy drinking red is a blend of Merlot, Malbec, Syrah and Cabernet Sauvignon with Merlot as the power player. Enjoy blueberries and a hint of nutmeg on the nose. Blackberries and dark cherries with subtle tobacco, cedar, and leather are present on the palate
- Sud – Southern Rhone style blend, hence the name sud. It is a blend of Grenache and Syrah. Enjoy ripe strawberry and eucalyptus on the nose and the palate offers bright cherry with hints of cedar
- Locus Red – Rhone style blend of Syrah, Grenache and Mourdvedre. Ripe raspberry and violets are present on the nose while flavors of plum, ground nutmeg, fresh black pepper and hints of tobacco linger in your mouth
- Finn River Raspberry Brandy Wine – Enjoy this spectacular dessert wine – pure, intense, absolute essence of fresh raspberries! Awesome poured over rich vanilla ice cream or a piece of creamy cheesecake!”
Well, said. Nothing for us to do but support it. If you are in the area and like the wines (or would like to try the wines to see if you like them or not), please support us and go to Bottles on Friday. Say hi to Amber (of Cru Selections) from us, too.
Cru Selections, our distributor in Washington state as well as Northern Idaho has shown some deep market acumen lately and we haven’t had a chance to talk about it: Locus Wines has become quite the fixture on some of the wine-savvy areas outside Seattle, specifically the Islands and the Peninsula. We have always had some representation in those areas but not like how we do now.
You can now find Locus Wines in Lakebay, Long Beach, Port Hadlock, Seabeck, Langley and Bainbridge in addition to previous staples like Gig Harbor, Anacortes, Poulsbo and Vashon (hello long time Locus supporters, Compass Wines, Central Market, Vashon Thriftway). Specifically, you will find Locus Wines at:
- Blend Wine Shop, Lakebay, WA
- Village Wine, Langley, WA
- Pickled Fish, Long Beach, WA
- Ajax Café, Port Hadlock, WA
- Lone Rock Mercantile, Seabeck, WA
- Vashon Thriftway, Vashon, WA
- Compass Wines, Anacortes, WA
- Town and Country Market, Bainbridge Island, WA
- Gertie and the Giant Octopus, Gig Harbor, WA
- Central Market, Poulsbo, WA
- Taps at the Guard House, Fort Worden, WA
If you weren’t one of the 135 or so people who showed up at the Spring release party last Saturday, you can stop panicking now. You still have 5 chances in the upcoming weeks to try the new line up, near Seattle or far.
- STEM Uncorked, Seattle, WA, Friday, April 28th, 2017, 5-9PM
Come learn about the other “stem” education at Science Uncorked! Enjoy an evening sampling some of Washington’s finest wines while exploring the science straight from the vine. Enjoy unlimited tastings from participating wineries, a souvenir wine glass, and after-hours access to the exhibits.
- Madrona Wine Merchants Tasting, Saturday, May 6th, 2017, 2-4PM
Taste the new releases at the best place second best place in Madrona to taste Locus Wines. Jim and Mark are ardent supporters of Locus and we do this tasting annually to celebrate the partnership.
- The Tasting Room, Saturday, May 13th, 2017, 1-5PM
Locus Wines is part of the Tasting Room 7 days a week now but from time to time, we become the focus of attention there. This is one of those focus of attention thingies, with winemaker Rich Burton on hand to pour the wines.
- Rising Stars, Walter Clore Wine and Culinary Center, Prosser, WA, May 20th, 2017, 1-4PM
2nd annual rising star highlights up and coming winemakers in Prosser, WA. Tickets are $50 plus tax until April 30th. $55 plus tax afterwards. Discounts for lodging available for early birds.
- Bottlehouse Rosé Event, Seattle, WA Saturday, June 3rd, 2017, 3-8PM
Locus Wines plus bunch of other class acts are going to battle it out to the death. Except they won’t. They will also pour rosé wines. Find out more about the event at the Bottlehouse website.
- Everett Golf Club & Country Club, Everett, WA, Friday, June 9th, 5-8PM
Find Locus winemaker Rich Burton on the 15th with wine, then taste/buy the wines in the clubhouse.
- McCall Rosé Tasting Event, McCall, ID, Sunday, June 18th, 3-6PM
- Mr. West Rosé Event, Seattle, WA, June 20th, 5-8PM
- The Tasting Room, Seattle, WA, Saturday, July 8th, 2017, 1-5PM
You can taste Locus Wines any time at the Tasting Room in downtown Seattle but on this particular Saturday, Locus Wines is going to be the focus of attention with winemaker Rich Burton on hand to pour the wines. This is not a free of charge tasting.
- Summer Party,Seattle, WA, July 15th, 2017, 3-7PM
Annual summer party in Madrona neighborhood, celebrating release of 2016 Locus Sémillon and other surprises. Free of charge tasting and food pairings.
Locus Wines is now part of the Cru Selections family for distribution in Washington state. This makes us stablemates with quite a few wineries that we have long been a fan: (The unbeatable) JB Neufeld, II Vintners, Trust Cellars, Airfield Estates, Guardian, Baer, William Church and Twelve (Oregon) among many other local and European selections, especially from France, Italy and Spain.
Led by Guy Harris, Cru Selections has been in business since 2008 (Guy has been in wine business a decade and a half before then) and in 2014, it was voted best distributor in the region by its peers. To read up on Cru Selections, visit their website or check out their Facebook page.
We are officially out of the 2015 Locus Sémillon from Dineen Vineyards. We still have some kegs for foodservice operations but that is it. So what now? Well, there is still some Sémillon on the shelves of retailers: Some Costcos still have it in stock (Seattle SoDo location is out). Some PCCs still have it and possibly Esquin.
If you get nostalgic, you have two options. At least for a while. First up, the Tasting Room downtown. We have two cases still available for flights, glass or purchase. In fact, this coming weekend, our winemaker Rich Burton will be at the Tasting Room hanging out with people as they taste Locus Wines flights.
Second option: Head on over to Purple Café downtown Seattle or Bellevue to get the Sémillon by the glass. They added the white to their glass pour menu a few months ago and they are getting the last bit of it we have left.
The good news is that the 2016 Sémillon is only 6 months away.
But you know, sometimes an opportunity just presents itself and it’s too good to turn down. We never intended to have a Locus tasting room, especially this early in our development, but when we met the folks from The Tasting Room in Post Alley, we changed our mind. The Tasting Room offers the best of Washington’s viticultural bounty in an old world-style wine bar, focusing only on winemaker-owned wineries. We’ll be joining other great Washington wineries like Naches Heights, Nota Bene, and Wilridge as part of a tasting cooperative in historic Pike Place Market.
To celebrate our new adventure, we are holding an invitation-only party this coming Friday night (November 18th) at the Tasting Room. We’ve only got room for 25 guests and your name will need to be on the guest list in order to get in. It’s *that* kind of party. Joking aside, the space is very limited and they cannot accommodate walk-ins.
In addition to our Locus wines, we’ll be tasting through offerings from five other wineries with bites from the new catering company, ESCA. If you’re interested in attending, reply to this email or shoot us a note at firstname.lastname@example.org to make sure we get your name on the list. There is no cost to attend.
If you can’t make it on Friday, we encourage you to check out The Tasting Room the next time you’re down at Pike’s Place Market. They’re open from noon to 8pm everyday, except this Friday where they will close at 6 to prep for the special event. They have a great happy hour Mondays through Thursdays, from 5pm-7pm with discounts on glass pours, bottles and small plates. You can order wines by the glass, experience tasting flights, or just buy a bottle to take home. We’re thrilled to be part of this great venue!
At our Fall Release party, we decided to debut a brand new wine way ahead of schedule. Enter the 2015 Locus Sud, a young, upstart blend of 7 Mile Grenache and (84%) and Keller Syrah (16%). Ten months in barrels and only three months in bottle, it’s tasting beautifully now – tart, expressive, and commanding attention. Kind of like a millennial. It’s our version of a Southern Rhône blend, hence the name Sud, which means South in French.
Second best part, or maybe the better part, is that, for a very limited time, the Sud is available for a discount on the Locus online portal for $19/bottle (plus case discount as applicable) until January 2017.
In addition to Kirkland, Tukwila and Aurora Village COSTCO locations, Locus Wines are now available at Seattle SoDo location. You will find 2014 Locus Modo Red, a Merlot/Malbec blend as well as the 2015 Locus Sémillon from Dineen Vineyards.
We were at the Seattle COSTCO to promote the wines last weekend, and starting next week, we will infiltrate Everett and Covington locations. Dates TBD.